Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Thursday, April 9, 2020

COVID-19 Confinement: What I miss ...... what I like ......




After 5 weeks of COVID-19 confinement at home, I start getting bored although there is really nothing to complain. We are in a safe place, tele-working works seamlessly, food supply is ensured, and my wine cellar was well stocked before the confinement. And - we have a small garden and a spectacular view on Rome and the Sea in the far distance. Thus, really nothing to complain.....but after such a long time you start missing things and habits. Here is my list what I miss or even hate and what in fact I like:

I miss (hate):

- being separated from my daughters who are in Berlin in confinement and not being able to celebrate Easter and their birthdays together this year
- not being able to make plans for future family reunions and other travel plans
- having lost our Easter vacation in South Africa (however we may be able to do it next year)
- face-to-face chats with my colleagues during coffee/lunch breaks
- walking my dog in nature (in fact I did it anyway and was stopped and heavily fined by the police - rules are rules regardless if they make sense or not)
- week-ends on T-Fish preparing her for the new season (postponed to the time period after the confinement - let's hope I can start in May)
- week-end excursions to the mountains or to the seaside, discovering new places, restaurants, shops, etc....
- spending evenings with friends in restaurants
- a strong European leadership making sure that our community of values and solidarity stays together, possibly even grows together tighter drawing on the lessons learnt from the crisis
- that figures (infections and death) only slightly improve (there is a slow downward trend) although we are already at the end of the 5th week of confinement in Italy
 








In the midst of every crisis, lies great opportunity
Albert Einstein

I like:

- the positive environmental impact due to reduced industrial activities and traffic 
- the clear sky over Rome (I never saw Rome so clear during day and night)
- the reduced noise level (although it has a bit of an apocalyptic touch in particular when looking down on Rome during the night)
- the rest and additional time for reflexions, reading books, photography, foto and video editing, games,...
- the muse for cooking (see my Chicken in Red Pepper below - not healthy but good!)
- the idea that many socio-economic processes may change to the better after the crisis (but not guaranteed) with a likely positive impact on our environment 









No comments:

Post a Comment