Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Thursday, May 12, 2022

Cutting the lines and hitting westwards


 I arrived back from Bavaria to Castelsardo on May, 6th where I met my Roman sailing friends and ex-colleagues in the port who just arrived back from a trip to Corsica under heavy weather conditions. Together we spent a nice evening in our favorite restaurant in Castelsardo.


As the weather forecast predicted very favorable wind conditions for  a crossing to Menorca in the next three days, I decided to cut lines the next day after last preparations, filling up gasoline and having a nice last lunch with my friends.


Leaving Castelsardo (Pic taken by my friends) 


The crossing was one of the best sailing I had so far. Here some impressions:

Out of the 237nm trip I did all under sail besides the last 40nm due to the reason that the wind fell asleep. Most of the time I had 10 to 15kn of wind about 60 degrees on the bow. There was only one occasion when considering reefing. This was when the wind increased to about 20kn during the first night. I finally decided just to pull away a bit of the genua and ease the main a bit knowing the this condition will only last a couple of hours according  to the forecast (which was on the spot - really amazing how precise the forecast skills became in the last years!). At this time T-Fish was peaking more than 7kn. The whole trip was made with an average speed of 5.7kn. Not bad for a small monohuller....but certainly the second night without sleep was very challenging....and the arrival therefore really rewarding when dropping the anchor and ketching up sleep for a full day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment