Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, May 14, 2022

Somewhat scary!


My fishing skills are legendary. In all my sailings I had about a handful of bites and only caught 3 fishes, a suicide makarele in the North Sea which was hooked on the side of the body (likely when crossing the fishing line) and 2 Lampuga or Dolphinfish, the Mahi Mahi of the Med, but much smaller. Precisely speaking, this is not true as I caught several Mahi Mahis when sailing down the Baja California, but there is so plenty of fish that this really does not count. 

When crossing from Sardinia to Menorca I had a bite again when sailing about 5-6 kn. I first slowed down the boat taking away the genua und opening the main, thus only drifting downwind but still with some 2-3 kn. It took me about one hour fighting with the fish and slowly bringing it to T-Fish. It was a several kg Tuna, in fact a bit too big for me, but with the ice box I would have had Tuna for several days. 

The question was then how to haul up the fish on my shaky boat and not falling into the water at the same time. Unfortunately, I had no stick with a hook but only a net. At a certain moment the fishing line got somewhat loose. I then bended over the reeling to check if it is still there and saw next to the boat several larger Tuna watching the death struggle of their budy. What a scary moment! 

They must have followed their comrade for at least 2 nm when I pulled him to the boat. I assume this is just based on poor curiosity to see what he has caught and if there is more to feed from but one never knows.....

By the way - I finally did not manage to get him on board. When fixing the line to the boat using a cleat in order to have two hands free for hauling him up, the line broke. 

Honestly, to a certain extent, I am happy that I did not need to eat this budy (but nevertheless not converted to a vegetarian). I bought a stick with a hook in Mao, Menorca and now waiting for the next bite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment