Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday, September 30, 2022

Next Stop - Porto Santo, Madeira, .....



.....more than 580nm to go.



Sightseeing in Gibraltar 


I left Gibraltar this morning at 8h30 after filling up gasoline and about 3hrs after high water in Gibraltar. This should give me a favourable tidal current counteracting the continious inbound water flow from the Atlantic to the Med caused by the higher evaporation rate in the Med. The plan is to follow the Spanish coastline up to about 6nm west of Tarifa before setting direct course SW to Porto Santo, Madeira.



preparing Sous Vide food for the passage


According to weather prediction I should have very good sailing conditions until Sunday when the wind will peek to more than 20 knots before dying off in the night from Sunday to Monday. Thus, likely 3 days of good sailing and the remaining motoring. I expect a passage of 5 to 6 days, the longest solo sailing trip I did so far. 

An issue is catching up sufficient sleep when sailing alone. I will try 20 min power naps in between and occasionally longer sleeping period relying on my AIS warning system.

You may have heard through the media, that there are few pods of killer whales which currently cause a lot of problems in particular for smaller boats. They attack and damage the rudder. Several boats already had to be town in with severe damage. Fortunately, they should be further up North at this time of the year as also confirmed by boats reporting on attacks through a dedicated Facebook group. 

Catching up some sleep is always an issue for solo sailors on long passages. I managed the leg from Sardinia to Menorca with 20 min power naps in between but will it be working for such a long period? I likely have to risk longer sleeping periods once in a while relying on my AIS warning system.




No comments:

Post a Comment